June 28 2023
We’re Hiring – Seaweed Biologist
Industrial Plankton’s new Seaweed Biologist will support the Chief Science Officer, with a goal of optimizing gametophyte production in the company’s new seaweed bioreactors.
You will be responsible for running experiments to improve the seaweed bioreactors, develop SOPs for producing multiple species of seaweed gametophytes, and assist in planning future projects from a biological perspective.
You will provide feedback to the development team, and work with them to constantly improve the bioreactor. You will also work with clients to support them in producing gametophytes at their facilities, and improving their production.
Our goal is to create a reliable seed supply for the seaweed aquaculture sector. We have accomplished this for shellfish aquaculture, with our micro-algae bioreactors now supporting half the shellfish hatcheries in North America. With our new seaweed bioreactors, we aim to do the same thing for seaweed, and accelerate growth in this industry.
Industrial Plankton is a dynamic company that loves to innovate, build, and support the industries we work with: aquaculture, biotech, and research. we are proud that our highly specialized employees share our values. We design, manufacture, and support high-tech bioreactors that allow our customers worldwide to easily grow live algae on-site. Our equipment is in 30 countries and counting! We are located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
- Running in-house experiments with multiple seaweed species in multiple bioreactors.
- Creating SOPs for various species
- Troubleshooting and supporting clients to ensure their success.
- General algae husbandry (i.e., culture/library maintenance)
- Training clients abroad in the use of their bioreactors
- Targeted research to support the above activities.
- Additional duties as assigned
- College diploma or B.Sc. in a related field (Marine Science, Agriculture, Biology, Aquaculture)
- Experience with gametophyte/seaweed seed production
- Detail oriented
- Great organization and time management skills
- Fluent in English (Ability to read, comprehend, and follow verbal directions precisely)
- Ability to communicate directions efficiently and respectfully
- Enjoyment of traveling
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Able to lift 50lbs (full carboys) and use a ladder safely
By applying, you seek to join a team of hardworking professionals dedicated to consistently delivering results and contributing to the success of the organization, its clients, and its employees.
- Pay: Salaried full-time compensation based on applicable experience and skill
- Generous benefits package included
- 3374 Burns Ave, Victoria, BC
- International travel is required intermittently
- Some Work From Home days are possible upon request
- Valid Passport
Please send your resume with a short statement explaining your interest in the position addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Industrial Plankton is an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, religion, colour, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, physical/mental disability, medical condition, military/veteran status, genetic information, marital status, ethnicity, alienage or any other protected classification, per applicable federal, provincial, and local laws.